Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Starting Some Actual Work...

I am now more comfortable in the office, and I believe I am actually starting to get some real work done. This week was more reading but also a lot of emailing. My advisor Agnes gave me a contact list of experts who work on campus that I could interview and question, and said I had to email them. So I did, and I explained my project and asked if they were willing to meet with me. Almost all got back to me willing talk, which is amazing considering all of them have major projects going on and I am not a college student. Most of them said they were just excited that someone as young as me was interested in their work. So this week I have a meeting scheduled with a professor who teaches construction graphics and mechanical/electrical systems, Dr. Alan Francis. But the cool part is that he also works with net-zero architecture. And when I say, “he works with” I mean he designed and built his own house as a net-zero energy house that is completely off the grid, and completely functional. Net-zero architecture means that the total amount of energy used by the building on an annual basis is roughly equal to the amount of renewable energy created on the site. I’m excited to talk to him about it. We’ll see how it goes.
Along with emailing, I began reading about the different sustainable buildings we already have on campus, and the materials they used for them. Fun fact: there is a building on campus, the ARD science building, whose insulation is 90%, recycled denim jeans. This building is rated platinum on the LEED building scale, and was two points away from being the most sustainable building of its kind (commercial building with a lab) in the country. However, I have talked with some of those who work in the building, and apparently the windows don’t close and the toilets don’t flush…. but it is still the 2nd most sustainable building of its kind. 
I have also been reading about the whole LEED rating system. LEED, (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) is a point-rated system. Depending on the number of points a building gets, it is awarded the certification of being just certified, silver, gold, or platinum. The points are awarded based on several different factors, such as energy use, location, water efficiency, air quality, materials and a bunch of other things. So far, the N.A.U. campus has nine LEED certified buildings. And right now, they are working on renovating the South dining hall to be LEED certified. In the future I hope to sit in on those meetings in the next few weeks to observe the designing process. 




7 comments:

  1. In order to be net-zero, does the structure have to be off the grid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not necessarily, it just happens that when a structure is net-zero, it is generating enough energy to sustain itself so it doesn't need any outside energy from the grid, making it "off the grid".

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! I'm so glad you are getting the interviews too. You are already learning so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Alan Francis...is his house here in Flag? Do you know where? I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is here in Flag, up on Mars Hill. I don't know the exact address but I can get it if you like.

      Delete
  4. Heyyyyyyy
    Why don't the toilets flush? What causes that????????????? Do sustainable buildings make the building less efficient in other places?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness that is a lot of question marks. The toilets are supposed to be low flow and water efficient so they use significantly less water when flushing, but I guess they went a little too far on the extreme side so now there isn't enough water to actually flush and empty the toilet....

    ReplyDelete